After filling out the co-parenting agreement

The agreement is followed up:

Great!  Even if the agreement works out well, one should discuss the agreement with the other parent and child after some time, to see if some changes are needed. One typical example is that if both parents have a 50-50 custody, this will get tiresome for the child, as it grows older and enters puberty.

The agreement is not followed up:

This could be that the other parent does not pick up or deliver the child at the right time or day. Try talking to the other parent and ask for the reasons.  It might also be that you need to specify certain pickup times and when the other parent should call to give information if he or she will be delayed.

Good advice for talking together

When encountering a disagreement one should try to talk it out with the other parent. Do your best to avoid arguing when the kids are around due to they might get hurt or scared if you are fighting. Try to remember that the other parent is important to your child and it will affect your child if you are mean towards that parent. Talking across text messages and mail might increase the likelihood of miscommunication so it is advised to meet in person when it is possible.

Talking with each other did not help, what is next?

If trying to work out the issues with the other parent does not work or the issues continue, one can contact a mediator. The mediator will try to help with the communication between the parents and find a solution that fits the needs of the child best.  

A mediator is also advised if you want to change the agreement, but cannot come to an agreement and as the first step if one parent is holding back the child from visitations.

Mediation did not work out and moving to court

If mediation does not work one can bring the case to the court.

Critical situations:

I need to protect the child from the other parent

Sometimes the child can be neglected or living with a parent that is not in the condition to maintain the best interest of a child. This might be because of alcohol, drugs, violence or sexual abuse.  If one is concerned about any of these factors when the child is with the other parent, one can contact these services for your country to get guidance on what to do.

© 2015 Copyright 25.TIME AS